Like many people, I had been fascinated by Pompei since I was a child, but I had never heard of Herculaneum (Ercolano in Italian) which was also destroyed when Vesuvius erupted in AD 79. Pompeii was impressive, but it was Herculaneum I was really taken with. It was a smaller town but had a wealthier population than Pompeii and was not discovered until 1709, meaning that it is far better preserved and less pillaged. Like Pompeii, it’s very easy to get to from Naples on the Circumvesuviana train. It only takes 25 minutes and in another 15 minutes, you’re in Pompeii. I suggest Pompeii in the morning and Herculaneum in the afternoon if you only have a day.
Insights into the French way of life and European travels by an Australian living in the Loire ValleyHeader photo: Blois in spring, 2016. All photos on website copyright by Rosemary Kneipp unless specified otherwise. All rights reserved.
Sign up for the latest posts below and don’t forget to click the confirmation email link:
Loire Valley Accommodation!Stay in our beautiful 400-year old Renaissance house in the Loire Valley. Click on Gîte Loire Valley above. Accommodates 2 to 4 adults. 3-night minimum stay.
Live like a local and improve your French!
- Cycling along the Neckar in Germany #3 – Rottweil to Oberndorf
- Cycling along the Neckar in Germany #2 – Horb – Rottenburg – Türbingen – Bebenhausen
- Cycling Along the Neckar in Germany – #1 – Ludwigsburg
- Cycling along the Romantic Road in Bavaria #8 – Tauberbishofsheim to Creglingen
- Cycling along the Romantic Road in Bavaria #7 – Würzburg