Monday’s Travel Photos – Spring Flowers in France

Coming from North Queensland, I have remained amorous of spring flowers ever since I saw my first field of buttercups back in 1975 in the south of France. These are photos taken recently in the Blois and when we travelled back from the Basque Coast. I had never seen flax (linen) in bloom and had no idea it was lavendar. I’m amazed in fact at how many spring flowers are lavendar, white and yellow. I’m not sure of all the names – maybe more knowledgeable readers can fill in the gaps.

Linen flax near Niort

Linen flax near Niort

Wisteria on our house in Blois

Wisteria at Closerie Falaiseau in Blois

Bellflowers in my little wood in Blois

Spanish Bluebells (Hyacinthoides histpanica) in my little wood in Blois

Weiglia

Weiglia in our garden in Blois

Ornamental broom

Ornamental broom in our little wood in Blois

Unknown shrub in our garden in Blois

Guelder rose (or snowball bush – Viburnum opulus) in our  front garden in Blois

Simple white daisies

What I thought were daisies but which are really Greater Stitchwort (Stellaria holostea), in the same family as carnations

Speedwell or veronica which, surprisingly, is a bulb

A yellow daisy that’s a bulb but I don’t know it’s name – ostensibly véronique in French

Medlar in our little wood - the fruit are a great favourite with deer

Medlar in our little wood – the fruit are a great favourite with deer

The unknown shrub before blooming, keria japonica and lilac

Guelder roses before blooming, keria japonica and lilac

This entry was posted in Flowers & gardens, Travel photos and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

11 Responses to Monday’s Travel Photos – Spring Flowers in France

1. Susan Walter says:

The bellflowers are Spanish Bluebell Hyacinthoides hispanica, or their hybrid with the native species H. x massartiana.

The unknown shrub is a Guelder Rose (aka Snowball Bush) Viburnum opulus.

The white ‘daisies’ are Greater Stitchwort Stellaria holostea (in the same family as carnations, and not a daisy).

The yellow daisies are not Speedwell/Veronica and Speedwell/Veronica is not a bulb. I’m not sure what the yellow daisies are. Speedwells are usually blue (sometimes pink or white) and have 4 petals.

Thank you, Susan. I’ll update the post. The friend who has the yellow daisies told me they were véronique so I stupidly believed the bilingual dictionary when it said veronica. They are definitely bulbs though because we replanted some that she gave us.

Susan, we went to Truffaut and found the “véroniques” which are actually doronics in French! I looked up the internet and came up with Doronicum orientale (Leopard’s Bane). Does that sound right?

2. Jill says:

So pretty. The ornamental broom looks like a field of exotic butterflies. I haven’t seen that plant before.

From away, it doesn’t look very attractive, but up close, it’s lovely. I like the idea of the exotic butterflies.

3. Barball says:

Blois is looking like you have always lived there – so pretty. I think your shrub is a viburnum – or more commonly known in Australia as a snowball tree – closest we get to it in most places.

Thanks Barb. We’re very lucky that the previous owners planted so many flowering shrubs. As soon as one starts to wane, another comes into bloom. We’ve planted a few things, including some climbing roses that are about to come into bloom. all we need is some sun.

4. bev bannard says:

hi there, the shrub is
    a viburnum….snowball tree regards bev from melbourne

5. Jane's cousins friend says:

They look so beautiful, we were too early for the spring flowers.

I had a beautiful Wisteria at my home in Toowoomba – I still miss it and my fire in the cold winter evenings.