Zadar is a fascinating mixture of old and new, including the Church of Saint Donat built in the 9th century, the remains of a Roman forum from the 1st century, modern shopping streets and the famous sea organ. The sea organ is a musical instrument consisting of tubes located under a set of large marble steps along the waterfront. As boats go by, the waves rush into the pipes and create random but harmonic sounds. It was made by the architect Nikola Bašić as part of a project to rehabilitate the waterfront and was inaugurated on 15th April 2005. It’s a very popular venue for the locals at sunset.
Insights into the French way of life and European travels by an Australian living in the Loire ValleyHeader photo: Blois in spring, 2016. All photos on website copyright by Rosemary Kneipp unless specified otherwise. All rights reserved.
Sign up for the latest posts below and don’t forget to click the confirmation email link:
Loire Valley Accommodation!Stay in our beautiful 400-year old Renaissance house in the Loire Valley. Click on Gîte Loire Valley above. Accommodates 2 to 4 adults. 3-night minimum stay.
Live like a local and improve your French!
- Tips for Visiting the Golden Triangle in India
- Agra Fort, a Marble Inlay Table and the Baby Taj
- Learning a Language with a Home Exchange
- Friday’s French – Va te faire cuire un œuf ! and other eggy expressions
- Friday’s French – gens de voyage, Roms, gitans, Romanichels, Tsiganes, bohémiens, Manouches, gypsies